Thursday, February 14, 2013

So close and yet.....

 Finally a breakthrough in my project. A colony of bacteria that meets the morphology of agrobacterium on a Macconkey plate appeared in one of my plates. It has pink coloration, it is round, convex and appears to be engulfed in a mucous coating. It is also Gram negative like agrobacterium. This colony grew from the sample of soil I obtained from the school's garden, which I believe might have given Matt the idea of getting soil samples from different places in Phoenix College. From here on, I'll be collecting a sample of soil from all over PC, diluting 1g each soil in 1% peptone water and inoculating them into Mac plates. Since Macconkey media is Gram-negative selective I decided to use this kind of media for future diluted soil inoculations.

The first day I will bring the soil sample to the lab and after the dilution process I'll be streaking Macconkey plates. The next day I will repeat this process with new soil. The same day I will be testing any colonies that grew from the previous soil sample. I will administer tests such as maltose, lactose and glucose, among others. The third day I'll repeat the process of the previous day and I'll continue this pattern until I obtain enough data samples to increase the validity of my results.

Also, if anyone out there has seen or owns a plant with crown gall on it please let me know. It would be a great addition to my research. They may look like this:



No comments:

Post a Comment